SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum is a 2 barreled product, meaning that the pump simultaneously dispenses two separate products that you are instructed to mix on the back of the hand and apply to your face, neck and décolleté.
One of the chambers in SkinMedica’s TNS Essential Serum has what they call APS Corrective Complex and is mixture of antioxidants, peptides and other innovative anti-aging ingredients. This chamber is said to “strengthens the skin’s natural ability to regenerate itself, fights against environmental damage, smoothes and tightens skin, brightens and lightens age spots”.
The second chamber of SkinMedica’s TNS Essential Serum is primarily made up of what is called TNS Recovery Complex’s (aka: Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media) which is said to be “A physiologically balanced, naturally secreted and stabilized combination of multiple human growth factors, cytokines and natural proteins responsible for the production of collagen and other extracellular matrix proteins” which is said to “reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, diminish the appearance of age spots and dyspigmentation, improve skin texture, tone and elasticity, reduce roughness and photo damage”.
Ingredients in SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
I have heard about peptides, antioxidants and many of the ingredients in the first chamber, but I wasn’t too sure about the second chamber. Could the human fibroblasts actually be other people’s fibroblasts?
As I looked closer at this product, I realized that my suspicions were true and that this product is said to use actual human fibroblasts derived from human foreskin and embryos as an active ingredient. I am not sure if I think this is totally genius of totally disgusting.
Here is a little break down of the ingredients found in this dual barreled product and how they work.
Chamber 1: TNS
• Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media (TNS®)– A combination of multiple human growth factors, cytokines and natural proteins that help with the production of collagen and other extracellular matrix proteins. Adding this into your skin helps your ability to increase production of these proteins naturally.
Chamber 2: APS CORRECTIVE COMPLEX
• Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate — A stable, lipid-soluble ester form of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), a free radical scavenger that fights signs of aging while enhancing collagen production for firmer skin. Helps reduce hyperpigmentation and age spots.
• Tocopheryl Acetate — A stabilized ester of vitamin E considered the most important antioxidant and free-radical scavenger. Moisturizes the skin and improves smoothness.
• Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Leaf Extract — A plant derived inhibitor of Matrix Metalloproteinases (MMPs) that prevents the degradation of the extracellular matrix thereby helping to prevent wrinkle formation. The extract also exhibits antioxidant activity which helps fight the visible signs of aging.
• Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate Lysate — A yeast extract that when topically applied defends against the detrimental effect of ozone (which has an ability to deplete antioxidants in the skin), and improve the barrier function of the skin.
Price of SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum
I fl oz costs $260 and has a strict 30 day money back guarantee.
The claims, science and results behind this product really stand out to me as a product that actually lives up to what it promises. My concerns when it comes to this serum is the price, the money back guarantee and the controversy in using human cells in a anti-aging serum.
I personally would try this product if it was offered to me. I don’t think that I would spend the high price tag on it though. I think there are many products out there that can meet these claims without having to spend too much or be concerned about the ingredients, where they come from and how they are derived.